This is a digital PDF Sewing Pattern that will be available for immediate download once purchased. You are not purchasing the actual bag, although I do take commissions!
The Nine to Five Lunch Bag is a stylish and modern alternative to the usual lunch bag.
Aimed at the intermediate sewer, the Nine to Five Lunch Bag pattern will teach you a range of useful bag making techniques as well as sewing with waterproof fabrics, with plenty of scope to add your own style. With it’s generous boxy size and optional insulated fleece to keep food and drink warmer or cooler for longer, the Nine to Five Lunch Bag is ideal for storing your lunch, a small picnic for two, baby food and bottles, or even snacks for the family on a day trip.
This is a detailed sewing pattern which contains 20 pages of step-by-step instructions, along with 55 colour photos, making it perfect for the visual learner. There is also a video tutorial on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB7GCX-2xjo&t=637s
- lightly padded with insulated fleece to keep items cooler or warmer for longer
- a generous boxy shape to fit large lunch boxes or smaller containers
- the flap closes with a swivel snap hook and D-ring.
- a deep slip pocket behind the flap for your phone, book, wipes, baby bib
- a pleated front slip pocket for cutlery, snack bars, napkin etc
- an elasticated bottle sleeve inside to fit a standard water bottle or reusable coffee cup
- option of a carry handle or adjustable shoulder strap.
9” wide x 11” high x 4” deep (23cm w x 28cm x 10cm)
Intermediate sewer or confident beginner
This pattern is designed to be sewn with waterproof fabrics such as laminated cotton which is simply cotton with a polyurethane coating. It is easy to sew, wipe clean, washable and resilient, making it ideal for lunch bags or any item that requires frequent cleaning. It is also more environmentally friendly than traditional oilcloths or PVC coated fabrics minus potentially harmful dyes or chemicals such as lead, BPA or phthalates. Some laminated cottons are also certified as food safe.
You will find a small selection of organic laminated cottons in my Shop:
You could use other fabrics for the exterior such as canvas, a medium weight cotton or linen, waterproof Oxford, waxed canvas or dry oilskin. If you are using cotton for your bag, I would suggest adding a layer of fusible medium weight interfacing to the fabric to make it equivalent in weight to laminated cotton. For the lining fabric, consider a fabric that is wipe clean such as laminated cotton or ProCare™ (a food safe fabric) or ordinary cotton.
Fabrics not recommended for this pattern:
- Stretchy waterproof fabrics such as PUL or Ripstop
- Iron on vinyl which may separate from fabric
- Thicker vinyls or leather, unless you have a heavy duty sewing machine
You can check out all of my testers’ bags along with details on their fabric choices in the Nine-to-Five Lunch Bag Lookbook: https://issuu.com/sewsofia/docs/ninetofivelookbook.
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to download this PDF file and a printer to print off the pattern pieces at the end of the document. If you are unable to work from a computer screen, I would suggest printing off the instructions in a booklet form and on a faster print option to save on ink and paper.
0.75 yard/metre laminated cotton (44”/112cm width fabric) or 0.6 yard*/0.5 metre for 56” (147cm) width laminated cotton (* or 0.5 yard if using a non-directional fabric)
0.75 yard/metre laminated cotton (44”/112cm width fabric) or 0.6 yard/0.5 metre for 56” (147cm) width laminated cotton
12”/30cm insulated fleece wadding (45”/114cm width) e.g. Insul-Bright, Pellon Legacy Insul Fleece or if the added insulation is not essential, an ordinary sew-in fleece like Legacy 988 or Thermolam Compressed Fleece Vilene 272
1.75 yard/1.6m 1.25” (32mm) wide webbing or 3 yards/metres if planning an adjustable shoulder strap. Note, the webbing can also be 1” (25mm) or 1.5” (38mm) in width - just make sure that the size of hardware below corresponds with the width of the webbing.
Two (2) 1.25” (32mm) rectangular rings
One (1) 1.25” (32mm) D-ring
One (1) 1.25” (32mm) swivel snap hook
One (1) 1.25” (32mm) slider (optional for an adjustable shoulder strap)
One (1) 14” (36cm) narrow elastic, e.g. 0.5” (12.7mm) in width
Fray-check glue (optional)
Double sided tape or fabric glue (optional)
Marking tool like a pencil
You may sell items made from this pattern on your shop or website on a small scale. All items for sale must be handmade by you. Please credit SEW SOFIA in any written description. Please do not distribute, sell or duplicate this pattern in any way.
Your files will be available to download once payment is confirmed.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 21 days of delivery
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Questions about your order?
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Last updated 22 February 2023.
Additionally, I will make every reasonable effort to inform you when I interact with third parties with your information; however, you are solely responsible for reviewing, understanding, and agreeing to or not agreeing to any third-party privacy policies.
Information I Collect
To fulfill your order, you must provide me with certain information (which you authorized Etsy to provide to me), such as your name, e-mail address, postal address, payment information, and the details of the product that you’re ordering. You may also choose to provide me with additional personal information from time to time if you contact me directly.
Why I Need Your Information and How I Use It
I collect, use and share your information in several legally-permissible ways, including:
- As needed to provide my services, such as when I use your information to fulfill your order, to settle disputes, or to provide you with customer support;
- When you have provided your affirmative consent, which you may revoke at any time, such as by signing up for my mailing list or to receive notifications from me;
- If necessary to comply with a court order or legal obligation, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information Sharing and Disclosure
Protecting my customers’ personal information is crucially important to my business and something I take very seriously. For these reasons, I share your personal information only for very limited reasons and in limited circumstances, as follows:
- With Third-Party Service Providers. I engage the following trusted third parties to perform functions and provider services to my shop:
- Google Analytics, which helps me understand how visitors browse SewSofia. You can read more about how Google uses your Personal Information here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/. You can also opt-out of Google Analytics here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
- Royal Mail to deliver your order, or in the event of disruption to this main postal service, I may use the following courier services: DPD, EVRI or UPS to deliver your order.
- MailChimp, to send emails to my subscribers who have opted in to receive my newsletters.
- Alura, to gain insight and improve my shop.
I share you personal information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these services;
- In the Event of a Business Transfer. If I sell or merge my business, I may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
- In Compliance with Laws. I may collect, use, retain, and share your information if I have a good faith belief that doing so is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) perform legal obligations to which I am bound by agreements; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of my customers, or others.
How Long I Store Your Information
Transfers of Personal Information Outside the EU
I may store and process your information through third-party hosting services in the US and other jurisdictions. As a result, I may transfer your personal information to a jurisdiction with different data protection and government surveillance laws than your jurisdiction has. If I am required to transfer information about you outside of the EU, I rely on Privacy Shield as the legal basis for the transfer, as Google Cloud is Privacy Shield certified.
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have a number of rights in relation to your personal information. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases. Your rights are as follows:
- Right to Access. You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information I hold about you by contacting me using the contact information below.
- Right to Change, Restrict, or Delete. You may also have rights to change, restrict my use of, or delete your personal information. Absent exceptional circumstances (such as where I am required to store information for legal reasons) I will generally delete your personal information upon your request.
- Right to Object. You can object to (a) my processing of some of your information based on my legitimate interests and (b) receiving marketing messages from me. In such cases, I will delete your personal information unless I have compelling and legitimate grounds to continue storing and using your information or if it is needed for legal reasons.
- Right to Complain. If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about my use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
How to Contact Me
You may reach me with any concerns relating to privacy at email@example.com , or by mail at my physical address 5 Haddon Way, Loughborough, LE11 2UE, Leicestershire, England addressed to Sew Sofia .
For purposes of EU data protection law, I, Louise Ambrosi, am the data controller of your personal information. If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
Custom and personalized orders
Personalised and customised items are non refundable. For custom items where fabrics have been obtained especially for your order, a pattern has been upscaled or downscaled to a custom size, a pattern has been modified or a bag has been created to your personal specification or personalised with a name cannot be returned for a refund as these are one of a kind products made just for you! Please ensure that you are completely happy with a custom bag description before you make payment.
My bags are handcrafted with the greatest care using high quality materials, interfacings and metal hardware. Never overload your bag with heavy items as this will cause wear and tear, spoil the shape of the bag and put a strain on the strap. Do not immerse my bags in water, or a washing machine! The layers of special interlining, interfacing and lining could displace or shrink in the wash and any metal hardware will become damaged. For fabric bags only: spot clean with a mild soap solution. Touch up any creases with an iron on a low setting. For bags with faux leather or laminated (wipe clean) fabric:Spot clean with a mild soap solution. Wipe clean gently with a soft damp cloth. Do not iron!
Shipping to Germany
I confirm that Sew Sofia is registered with Stiftung Zentrale Stelle Verpackungsregister (ZSVR). My Dual System Licensing partner for the collection, sorting & recycling of the packaging is ACTIVATE by RECLAY.
As a consumer, please ensure that all received packaging is disposed of in the correct recycling containers: Blue for all paper & cardboard and Yellow for all plastics.
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap my products in brown paper, tissue paper or bubble wrap depending on the item and use strong polythene mailing bags to ensure the parcel is waterproof. Larger bags will be packaged in a sturdy box. If you wish to send an item directly to someone as a gift, let me know and I will wrap it in pretty tissue paper and be sure not to include an invoice or price details with their parcel.
Lost or unclaimed parcels
Sew Sofia is not responsible for customs duty or brokerage fees on international orders. These will have to be paid by the customer where applicable.
If an item is returned to me by the Royal Mail as unclaimed I will contact you to arrange for the item to be redelivered as soon as possible. Please respect that if such a situation occurs there will be an extra charge for postage to cover the cost of resending the item for you.
Sew Sofia cannot be held responsible for items lost once they have been handed to the Royal Mail for delivery both in the UK and when being posted to overseas locations. I will always obtain a certificate of postage to trace delivery of goods.
Feb 8, 2024
It’s very easy to to follow the pattern,and it’s a beautiful bag
Dec 14, 2023
Great pattern, easy to follow
Aug 7, 2023
Excellent pattern! I love the extra pockets and the finished size of the tote. The instructions are clear, well organized and easy to follow!